There are several difficult things that you have to master if you want to complete a high-quality statement of purpose, but one of the most overlooked, and important, is the formatting. The statement of purpose is meant to communicate several things to the institution to which you’re applying, and one of the most critical is writing and communication skills. These are things that are very important to your success in academics, and they want to know that you can communicate in a concise and formal way. Formatting is an important aspect of this, and that’s why you need to be certain that you have everything from proper headings to good margin lengths and fonts, etc. One of the most helpful ways to learn how to do this is with a SoP template.
Interesting Facts about Your Statement of Purpose
Getting into a good college or university relies more and more on having a good statement of purpose as part of your application. The reason is that the programs look for far more than just your qualifications when making their decisions. If you look at any good statement of purpose sample it will be perfectly written with an excellent SoP format. You need to get all of the help that you can get with our statement of purpose format guide and tips to ensure that yours will stand out. Especially when you consider some of these facts:
- Some of the most competitive schools accept only a small percentage of those applying. Harvard and Stanford, for instance, accept just 5% of those applying.
- More than 80% of all applications are made online to US colleges and universities.
- More than a quarter of those applying to college will apply to 7 or more different schools.
- There are over 22 million students in college and university at any time in the US.
Why Are Applications Often Unsuccessful?
Many students every year are disappointed, either not getting a place at all or having to attend a college that is way down their list. For instance, only around half of those applying to medical school are placed. The reasons for not getting accepting:
- Failing to target the program: your statement should not be generic, it should be clear that you have a real interest in their program and college if it is one of the most competitive.
- Not doing your homework: failing to research the requirements of the program and showing that you meet them is one of the key reasons for failing to get selected.
- Not following instructions: often you will be required to answer a prompt or you will be told clearly what they expect. Not giving them what they ask for will give that place you want to another.
- Writing something that is boring and generic: they are looking for students that are able to articulate their uniqueness and ability to contribute to their program. Always tell a unique story that is capable of making you stand out from the crowd.
- Plagiarism: while that good statement of purpose example may read well, copying it is not going to help you. Most applications are checked for plagiarism so copying a sample SoP will often get your automatically rejected.
- Not spending enough time on your statement: a poorly written statement will simply not get you anywhere. You must start your writing early and do your research if you want to do well. Use our SoP format tips and other advice to make sure you write your statement perfectly.
SoP Format Trends for 2019
Admission committee members will be looking for statements that are able to quickly and clearly communicate the information that they are looking for. While more and more applications are made through the Common Application and other centralized systems which remove all formatting how you format other applications is becoming more important.
They are always looking for statements that are going to be easy to read. This means that there must be plenty of white space and text that is large enough and clear enough to be read easily. They also don’t want any distractions on the page such as excessive text formatting, multiple font use, or decoration. Always keep an eye on what the trends are for your formatting to ensure that your statement stands out for the right reasons.
Good Statement of Purpose Example
There’s no easier or more efficient way to learn something than with an example or a template. Instead of giving intricate directions that you have to puzzle out, with an example you can simply see these things being done, and thus you can apply what you see to your own work. This is especially true when it comes to the statement of purpose format. Writing rules sometimes lengthy and complex, if it comes down to statements of purpose, that’s why it’s natural to use a template or ask helpful services for advice. It’s crucial that you get a good SoP sample. You shouldn’t just pull one off of Google Images, because it could be flawed or incorrect, and subsequently, you could pick up the wrong things and produce an incorrect format for yourself.
With the Help of Statement of Purpose Sample, Your Formatting Will Be Perfect!
With our site, you’re getting a SoP format sample that is written by professionals and edited to be sure that it’s as helpful and high quality as possible. That way, you can simply take a look at it, see how the design and aesthetics come together, and then take what you see into your own statement of purpose. The SoP is crucial to your success in application, and with our help, you’re sure to get one that’s all but perfect!